SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »
Dog Fouling
Snazy

21-10-2014 09:13 PM

Wow, this escalated!

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
oryx

21-10-2014 10:05 PM

@ Londondrz........I don't know where you got the idea from that I am defending the elderly couple's 'civil liberties' by saying I wouldn't like this to be filmed etc. if it was me. Or indeed suggesting it was illegal.

Reading too much into my one-sentence post, perhaps?

Red67 has the right idea of how to tackle this without resorting to such tactics.

spud

22-10-2014 08:06 AM

Really? Or would it have been just as reasonable to conclude that kindness to animals, in however misguided a form, was the sign of a generous nature?

I might not be convinced of the merits of the al fresco fox buffet but I'd hesitate to class it as anti-social behaviour. That seems to be setting the bar a bit low. For all the chances of effecting any practical change in this case, I'd say that there was a strong case for adopting a policy of live and let live.

I'm actually slightly more disturbed at the idea of a neighbour attempting to resolve an essentially minor disagreement by filming his neighbours without their permission, then uploading the video to an online public forum together with their address. That doesn't feel like a great idea to me. It feels... disproportionate.

edd

22-10-2014 09:58 AM

Really? Or would it have been just as reasonable to conclude that kindness to animals, in however misguided a form, was the sign of a generous nature?

Well, I don't think so. You could perhaps conclude that it indicated some generosity to animals. However, this would in my view by outweighed both by the lack of consideration towards other (human) animals who don't like plastic and food litter (and fox faeces) in their immediate environment, and, perhaps more tellingly, by the eventual cruelty to the foxes themselves. Their territories become proportionally smaller as more food is available, they come into conflict with people more often as a result, and of course long-term a diet of take-away does no one any favours, vulpine or human!

I speak as someone who was happy to feed an INJURED (but un-catchable) fox in her OWN GARDEN with SUITABLE food.

People who strew the pavements with plastic containers of take-away leftovers strike me as a bit thick, to be honest. But I don' believe they should be publicly shamed as they have been. They need to be stopped, though, or at least held up as an example for others not to follow.

crassbelch
Banned Troll

24-10-2014 08:07 AM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

This post was last modified: 24-10-2014 08:07 AM by crassbelch.

Snazy

24-10-2014 12:00 PM

Time to report it to Environmental Service.
Totally understand your frustrations.

They are usually quite responsive on their Twitter account.

jaradras

24-10-2014 01:40 PM

When I saw the message from the Councillor, my response to it was the same as BringOutTheCranston i.e. what was the purpose of this message ?, I am still not sure and there has been no further communication from the Councillor.

We had lots of problems with dog fouling outside our door step a couple of years ago ( and in those days the pavement was supposed to have been swept daily !) and despite phoning the Council the dog faeces were never removed for several days,however, they kept sending me e-mails to say it had been removed, because that is what the cleaner was telling the officers ( but not one officer came down to check what I was saying) and in the end I had to get one of their senior managers to deal with this & they apologised for the poor service. They did not have a solution to this problem on my street and asked me to keep a watch, I could not believe this !. They said "they did not have enough resources to deal with the problem". In those days we had Community Support Officers ( not sure whether they are still around, guess not, have not seen them ?) & I asked if they could patrol the area morning and evening for a short period of time to identify these individuals & fine them if necessary, nothing happened !, guess there are far more important issues in the borough, but for me this was important.

Searched this forum for the topic of dog fouling and found the earliest one dated 26/11/2007, this is 7 years ago & nothing has changed, the same complaints from different individuals ( same areas i.e. Honor Oak & in some instances the same street as that mentioned in the current discussion) and the Council has done nothing to address this issue. Is there any enforcement ?, in my opinion, NO.

Lewisham Council on their website talk about on the spot £75 fines and fines of up to £1000 for various dog offences including fouling of land & failing to remove dog faeces. Can the Councillor who posted this message or any of the local Forest Hill Ward Councillors tell us
(1) what new ideas the Council has come up with do deal with the issue of dog fouling over the last few years ?( and please do not talk about raising awareness or responsible dog ownership initiatives, as this has not worked).
(2) how many people they fined for dog fouling over the last 12 months and how much money they have collected from these fines for the Forest Hill Ward ?.
(3) how many people within the Council are employed to deal with this issue & what their roles are ?

There have been successes by other authorities who have devoted resources with a hard hitting campaign, so come on Lewisham, let us see some enforcement.

BringOutTheCranston

09-11-2014 07:35 PM

Whilst this thread might have gone quiet and given that there were some strong emotions raised I notice that one person who never replied was the original poster (councillor 'lord' kennedy).

Was this post his one foray into the world of dog excrement or is he not actually interested in the issues raised.

This post was last modified: 09-11-2014 07:42 PM by BringOutTheCranston.

Snazy

10-11-2014 12:16 PM

I would go with a rant, but no interest in the matter in the long term.

Pages (3): « First < Previous 1 2 [3] Last »

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields