SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
No trains to WE or CX from LB from mid-Dec
Sibelius

19-09-2014 11:06 AM

With apologies for the acronym rush:
http://www.foresthillsociety.com/2014/09...witter&m=1

This is bad news for me as I can't stand the tube. And seemingly for at least a year too.

Did everyone know about this except me?

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

19-09-2014 11:25 AM

If I thought everybody knew about it I wouldn't have bothered putting it in the newsletter!

The disruption will last for 18 months.

The good news is that if you work in Waterloo (as I do) the journey to work will actually be faster, as the ELL and Jubilee is a quicker method of travel (by about 5 minutes).

Mr_Numbers

19-09-2014 04:30 PM

Quote:
Southern trains will continue to terminate at London Bridge but there will be no interchange with trains to Waterloo and Charing Cross.

I've read this several times and I can't get my head around it. How can it not be possible to get from Platform 15 (say) where a Southern train might terminate at London Bridge to Platform 6 (or whichever) to get a Charing Cross train?

Is this real life imitating old jokes? "You can't get there from here"?

This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 04:32 PM by Mr_Numbers.

rshdunlop

19-09-2014 04:48 PM

Because the Charing Cross trains will not be stopping at London Bridge.

Mr_Numbers

19-09-2014 05:47 PM

Ah. Good point. Thank you. It was the 'no interchange' thing that threw me.

But Cannon Street trains will be stopping, so it will at least be possible to get to Cannon Street for 18 months, is that right?

Quote:
SouthEastern trains to Canon Street will continue to stop at London Bridge for 18 months, and then the situation will switch so that the Charing Cross trains will stop at London Bridge, but not the Canon Street trains.

michael

19-09-2014 08:57 PM

Yes. 18 months with trains going to Canon Street. However, I think you are unlikely to find a bridge from platform 8 to the other section of the station, so you will probably need to go via the underground entrance for the shortest route to platforms 1-4.

lacb

20-09-2014 08:17 AM

Cannon Street tube is normally shut on Sundays. Even if CX trains are not running in my experience. Is this going to change during this 18 month LB non stop period?

Sibelius

20-09-2014 08:45 PM

During the recent London Bridge closure I got a bus from Stondon Park to Ladywell for their trains to Charing Cross. This worked fairly well so I might do that, but I'll be miffed if the buses don't accept my train ticket. They should, right, as it's a 'reasonable route'? One P4 driver wouldn't allow it last time but all others were fine.

Sherwood

21-09-2014 09:51 AM

I used Catford Bridge to Charing Cross on Friday. I had to get off the bus early because the traffic was slow moving. But the train only stops at Ladywell and then is fast to London Bridge. It will be even faster if it does not stop at London Bridge!

rbmartin

12-10-2014 12:24 PM

Quote:
Cannon Street tube is normally shut on Sundays. Even if CX trains are not running in my experience. Is this going to change during this 18 month LB non stop period?

Cannon Street tube will be open on Sundays from January.

InTheForest

19-11-2014 11:43 PM

Isn't this going to mean a whole load of people on the Jubilee Line as they go to Waterloo/Westminster in place of Waterloo East/Charing Cross? Is there room for them? Is this therefore going to mean you can't get on to the Jubilee at London Bridge meaning even more people will try to cram onto the Overground? I can't see that a single extra carriage will make much difference, and I shudder to think what the Canada Water escalator queue will be like.

rbmartin

20-11-2014 12:51 AM

Ticketing arrangements have been made so that at most, the extra passengers will be between London Bridge and Waterloo on the Jubilee, or Cannon Street to Embankment. They can also use buses between London Bridge and Waterloo (tickets will also be valid on the Bakerloo and Northern from Waterloo to Charing Cross) and Cannon St to Charing Cross.

Southern tickets will NOT be valid between NXG and Canada Water on the Overground, which I suspect is to discourage overcrowding on the already busy services which will keep them on the normal trains into LB.

This post was last modified: 20-11-2014 12:53 AM by rbmartin.

Mr_Numbers

20-11-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:
I shudder to think what the Canada Water escalator queue will be like.

I agree, InTheForest. They've woefully underestimate the capacity needs at that interchange as it is, and now all the old Southern/London Bridge traffic will be changing there as well.

I'm just glad I don't live in New Cross Gate...

rbmartin

20-11-2014 12:44 PM

I won't be surprised if LOROL have extra ticket checks on their trains from January to catch out Southern season ticket holders who'll attempt to use the Canada Water route. It'll be a nice little earner for TfL in penalty fares.

Londondrz

20-11-2014 01:05 PM

I had only just reached the top of the escalator this morning when the next overground train arrived, chaos.

rbmartin

30-11-2014 09:51 PM

It's worth knowing that Charing Cross services from London Bridge will operate between January 5th to 9th.

From Jan 12th, that's when the real 'fun' begins until August 2016.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields