SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's
Taffhamster

08-03-2008 12:51 PM

I think it boils down to their behaviour at a given time. Now and again (usually later in the day), the younger woman WILL just be sitting against the railings, quietly offering mags ? hardly objectionable and, at times, she can be quite sweet and friendly. But at other times, the begging aspect is more in-your-face. I've experienced both, but feel the full-on begging is getting more frequent.

Also, assuming the pitch is completely legitimate, the Big Issue still isn't meant to be about begging ? it's very specific on that point. The "working, not begging" slogan is presumably aimed at protecting the vendor's dignity, and rightly so. And if standing in the cold and rain, presumably getting abuse slung at you by the unenlightened isn't hard work, I don't know what is. I'm not even suggesting that they should stick to the letter of it ? if extra cash above the cover price of the mag is volunteered, then why shouldn't they take it? But they're not meant to approach people and ask for money, which is something these people have done to me on numerous occasions.

These high-pressure begging tactics do nobody any favours. The more passers-by get hassled, the sooner compassion fatigue kicks in, and this doesn't just harm that particular vendor, but vendors in general. (And, in this case, it could reinforce prejudices against immigrants).

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields

Messages In This Topic
RE: Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's - Taffhamster - 08-03-2008 12:51 PM

Possibly Related Topics ...
Topic: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Big Issue seller outside Sainsbury's Herbparis 81 86,421 27-01-2011 11:35 AM
Last Post: Dillwihs