SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Social groups for recently retired
rach8

20-03-2014 05:56 PM

Hi
Does anybody know of social groups suitable for single recently retired professional s?
If there aren't any in the f.hill area please let me know if of interest and would happuly set up a group. Maybe weekly social meetings, fortnightly visits?
The transition from working full time to having no structure or daily social interaction is close to my heart at the moment. Would benefit my very bored rather disillusioned father and others!
look forward to hearing from you

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

08-04-2014 09:55 AM

There is the senior's centre on Stanstead Road http://www.seniorslewisham.org.uk/index.html
However, many recently retired people may not put themselves in the same category as those who may have retired 20 or 30 years ago. But it is worth going along to see if it is a group of people that he gets along with.

My mother is involved in University of the Third Age, which provide a range of learning (and teaching) opportunities. There are a number of local choirs who are always looking for men who can hold a note (and most can) as they tend to be female dominated.

The Forest Hill Society (which I'm involved in) caters for all age groups, and we welcome members and activists of all ages. A bit of planting round the station every so often, trips beyond SE23, walks, newsletter delivery (a chance for a little walk around the area) and the committees to discuss planning, transport, and environmental issues. We welcome people of all ages and there are a few recently retired individuals who are particularly active in the Society as they have both time and energy.

Finally, can I recommend keeping recently retired people busy with grandparenting duties Laugh

Mayow Park

09-04-2014 04:10 PM

Allotments are great for the recently retired, and vice versa

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields