SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Schools v academies
crassbelch
Banned Troll

11-05-2016 04:33 PM

[Post removed due to abuse -admin]

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Londondrz

11-05-2016 04:59 PM

Easy, those people who wished schools could be more independent from local government now don't want to be because it's a Tory initiative.

BTW, if your response is to the negative and you think it is a bad idea then do me the good grace of explaining why.

sydenhamcentral

02-06-2016 04:18 PM

The issue is that they were being forced be be academies. When something is already working, leave it alone.

Let schools become academies if they want to. Don't make them do it.

Also there are many issues with academy status. They don't automatically make schools better. Some academies are pretty poor, there are issues with accountability.

The real issue with schools has been the likes of Gove etc meddling in them, lack of funding and this obsession with an outdated ridiculous Victorian based education. If the government really wanted to improve education they would listen to the likes of Ken Robinson, Let teachers teach, remove red tape and too much testing and homework, look into schemes like Montessori and Steiner and make theses more widespread.

There is also an issue with some faith based schools, but that's another debate. A child can't vote. I don't think they are old enough to choose a religion either. Until you choose a brand of faith/religion, by law I'd make it that you don't belong, officially to any brand of religion/faith. I don't believe any school should be faith based or choose/discriminate against a child due to the accident of their birth and the religion of their parents. Schools should give a good, rounded education in the academic and social sense.

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields