SE23.com - The Official Forum for Forest Hill & Honor Oak, London SE23
Online since 2002   11,000+ members   72,000+ posts

Home | SE23 Topics | Businesses & Services | Wider Topics | Offered/Wanted/Lost/Found | About SE23.com | Advertising | Contact | |
 Armstrong & Co Solicitors

Post Reply  Post Topic 
Cross Rail 2
Gaz

19-06-2014 11:23 AM

I've just received an update from TFL regarding Crossrail 2 (the link from Wimbledon through to Seven Sisters/Tottenham Hale). The original proposal had this stopping at Dalston Junction so that the Overground would interchange, allowing us in SE London to easily connect to central London via this route and to the stations serving Stansted airport.

However, the new proposal gives a choice between Crossrail stopping at either Dalston Junction or Hackney (i.e. not both as per the original consultation). If posters feel strongly enough about improving our lot and having a say, the details are in the link below, including an invitation to answer a short survey as part of the new consultation...

http://crossrail2.co.uk/

Gaz

Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
michael

19-06-2014 12:24 PM

The earlier proposal was to have one branch going through Dalston and the other to Hackney Central. The new idea is to branch further north and either go through Dalston or Hackney Central, not both.

My response to the consultation was a single line that stops at Haggerston and Hackney Central. This would save the cost of the two tunnels but would keep the costs and benefits of the interchange with both branches of the Overground.

However, I think Crossrail 2 is of very little benefit to South East Londoners, and we shouldn't pretend that one option is better for us than another, both are completely irrelevant to the major transport issues in South East London, even for users of the Overground. I'm still in favour of Crossrail 2 to relieve congestion at Victoria.

With the completion of Thameslink (North-South), Crossrail 1 (East-West), Crossrail 2 (SW-NE), and HS2 for the NW, the only part of London that requires a major new tunnel is the SE - possibly the Bakerloo line extension - the cheapest of the lot by far.

Gaz

19-06-2014 12:36 PM

Stopping at Haggerston is an excellent suggestion which will satisfy both branches as you say. Let's hope they take that on board. Thumbup

clausy

22-06-2014 12:07 PM

I'm not sure if the Bakerloo would be any quicker than Overground+Jubilee into the West End. I suppose it would help with capacity though. I still prefer to cycle anyway Cool

Friends of Blythe Hill Fields